The following essential points will provide students with a solid base to build their English speaking and comprehension skills.
Listening skills should include the ability to understand and act on basic information in the following situations:
- Personal information: name, address, telephone number, nationality, etc.
- Telling time
- Numbers: cardinal and ordinal
- Simple directions and prepositions of place
- Simple descriptions of people and places
These are some topics and categories of vocabulary that are important to learn at the beginner stages:
- Descriptions of people, such as looks, character, and family
- Food, drink, and restaurants
- Likes and dislikes
- Home, rooms, furniture
- Town and country
- Shops and shopping
- Time, the seasons, months, weeks, days, and related terms
Introductions and Greetings:
- How do you do?
- Pleased to meet you.
- How are you?
Asking for Information:
- How do you spell ____?
- How do you pronounce?
- Where is the nearest bank?
- What does “X” mean?
- Can I help you?
- Would you like some ____?
- May I have a coffee?
- Could you help me?
- Would you like to come with me?
- Shall we go out this evening?
- Let’s have some lunch.
- Why don’t we play some tennis?